Can sponsored immigrant get emergency medicaid in Florida?

Asked 10 months ago - Miami, FL

Can sponsored immigrant get emergency medicaid in Florida? I sponsored my wife a year ago by I-864. Can she get emergency medicaid in Florida in case of emergency? If yes, will I be responsible to reimburse medicaid?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

1

Answered . Since Florida Medicaid eligibility is an issue of Florida state law, the quesiton should be directed at Florida attorneys.

2. Jesus Novo III

2

1

Answered . This question is more complex than it appears on the surface. First of all, you have to qualify for medicaid under all the other requirements before you can qualify for Emergency Medicaid for Aliens. Secondly, EMA is for the benefit of the hospital treating you, not for you. Third, EMA is a one time eligibility for an emergency that already happened and that you were unable to cover financially. Lastly, the person sponsoring the alien is still responsible financially for the bills even if Medicaid pays them, frequently they do not bother trying to collect, but occasionally they will subrogate. My advice is to contact DCF.

3. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

2

1

Answered . In the event of a true emergency your wife will be treated at the hospital. However, you may be sued by the government to reimburse the taxpayer. This is an example of the purpose of an I-864.

4. Harry Asatrian

Pro

3

1

Answered . It should not be an issue in emergency cases.

This is not legal advise and should not be construed as such by anyone.
  5. Michael E. Piston

3

1

Answered . You must reimburse the government for any "A Federal means-tested public benefit" the person you filed a form I-864 receives.The USCIS issued a memo in 2000 indicating that "Federal means-tested public benefit" includes Medicaid. The memo is here: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/Stati...

I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice. I have not done legal research to confirm the accuracy of this answer. I may be retained, for a fee, to issue a formal legal opinion on this issue, which may prove to be different than the answer given here.

Michael E Piston
    248-686-2168
    Fax: 206-770-6350
    email: michaelpiston4@gmail.com