Can someones power of attorney file a restraining order on their behalf?

Spring Hill, FL |

My bf is in prison, he has POA and she is threatening to file a restraining order on me on my bf's behalf. Just because SHE doesnt want us together.

It really depends upon the language in the power of attorney. If it is broadly drafted some POAs give all powers that a person could do individually. So she may have this power to bring this action. Without seeing the document, no one at this forum can give you a definitive answer.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties in the state of Pennsylvania. He phone number is 215-735-2336 and his email address is listed below.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.
sjfpc@comcast.net
website
blog

POWER OF ATTORNEY (“POA”)-
An instrument in writing whereby one person, as principal, appoints another as his agent and confers authority to perform certain specified acts or kinds of acts on behalf of principle.
The "Power" becomes a DURABLE POWER OF ATTORNEY when person executes a power of attorney, which will become or remain effective in the event, he or she should later become disabled.

Now that we understand what is a POA the “agent” is sometimes referred to as the principle’s attorney-in-fact (“AIF”) and only has the powers delineated to him by the language in the POA. So without reading the POA it is impossible to know the powers the principle has given the AIF.
See an elder law attorney since this subject can be complex and other issues are created that you might require further information. My website below may have articles that may further be of interest to you on this subject. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thank you!
My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given by an attorney who agrees to represent you, who reviews the facts of your specific case, who does not have a conflict of interest preventing the representation, and who is licensed as an attorney in the state where the law applies.

Dan W. Armstrong, Attorney
Law Offices of Dan W. Armstrong, P.A.
P.O. Box 1535
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32004-2479
(O) 904.280.0058, (F) 904.280.0109

Website: http://www.DanArmstrong.com

Tax law topics