Can someone suing me for injury in an accident get at my bank accounts?

Dallas, TX |

A Dart bus and my 1990 VW Jetta sideswiped each other. There were no witnesses and we each claimed the other was at fault. A young man on the bus claimed injury, he has hired a lawyer and I have just been served. The only other passenger on the bus was an old(at least 70 years) lady. As I was stepping onto the bus to speak with the driver, she was up and getting off. the young man shouted "your insurance company is going to pay for my injury white man"

1. First, if you have been served with a suit, then contact your insurance company and give them the paperwork. Your insurance company will defend you in court, and will make every effort to settle your case within your policy limits. If you don't have insurance, you should contact a lawyer immediately. Your assets (bank accounts, house, vehicles, etc.) will not be at risk until there is a judgment against you, but you must act quickly to protect your rights.

2. You should turn the suit papers over to your insurance carrier immediately. Your carrier has a duty to investigate this matter, defend you and indemnify you if necessary. Your carrier will appoint an attorney to represent you and you should discuss your financial circumstances with that attorney.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. These situations are why you pay so much for insurance. They will protect you and your bank account. Of course, the more insurance you have, the more secure you are from any liability

4. In Texas for a car accident, the plaintiff should not be able to get your bank accounts in most circumstances. But, definitely turn the claim over to your insurance and your insurance defense attorney can answer all of your questions and will handle this for you.