Can someone sue me for posting a video on youtube, Facebook, or any other internet social site?

Asked about 1 year ago - West Sacramento, CA

I posted a video featuring a group of dancers dancing in a rented studio. We were preparing for a performance at a theater, the studio owner was a sponsor and agreed to allow us to practice in her studio. This happened after hours, the owner was no there. Later the video tape of us all dancing was spotted by the owner who has informed us she will sue if not taken down immediately. She claims the way we danced was hurtful, degrading to people of color and we were trying to damage her studio and equipment. None of this is true, only her warped opinion. I complied and took down the video, tried to reason with her that our intention was not to hurt her or harm her business. The next day she sent a threatening letter claiming legal action if any video from her studio is posted.

1. Andrew Mark Jaffe

1

Best Answer

Answered . This is America and you can be sued anytime by anyone for anything. The real question is if they will win. The other big issue to consider is if you want to spend what it will cost to defend yourself (10's of thousands of dollars.)

If you took the video, you own the copyright. Unless you agreed in writing not to use video in her studio, or she has signs posted that video cannot be shot, I do not see that she has a cause of action.

While I don't think you did anything wrong, my advice to a client who came to me with these facts would be to just take down the video and move on. Fighting is not worth the expense.

2. Sreenivasarao Vepachedu

Answered . Yes, if you break any laws or infringe any IP rights.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Yes many such causes of action exist to protect persons.