Can someone still qualify for a U Visa if they have a drug possession charge and has been ordered for deportation by the judge?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tustin, CA

My cousin was asulted with a deadly weapons in 2005. He was slashed on his face with a knife. In 2008 he got a drug charge. Because of this charge he has now been ordered to be deported. Can he still qualify for the U Visa despite the drug charge?

1. Morgan Laine Place

Pro

7

Answered . I'm really sorry to hear what your cousin has been through. I hope he's doing well. Unfortunately, I think more information is needed to evaluate your cousin's prospective case. He should get a free consultation from an attorney with a good amount of U visa experience. Many attorneys, myself included, can do the consultation over the phone. All it'll cost is time.

2. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

6

Answered . "Drug charge" can mean anything from simple possession to trafficking of kilos. It matters.

You may want to add that information in the "additional information" section.

I've also reclassified this as an immigration question.

3. Frank Mascagni III

5

Answered . You need to consult with an immigration lawyer in your area ASAP for advice and direction. We have several avvo lawyers here who practice immigration law that may respond, I'll defer to them.