Can someone request letter of administration in new york even though he is in another state?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

my father, who lives in Puerto Rico, lost his brother who has some assets in new york. my father is handicap and it will be almost impossible to travel to new york. can he request letter of administration even when he is living out of state? Can I represent him in any way?

1. Joseph Jonathan Brophy

2

Answered . Assuming your father is a US citizen, he can petition for letters in the county where his brother resided. He does not have to appear in court personally. You can certainly help him, but you can't represent him unless you are a lawyer. What exactly needs to be done depends on whether there was a Will and the nature of the assets. How easy or difficult it may be depends largely upon the Surrogate's Court where the application must be made. Some courts are helpful, some not so much.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . The person named in the will would have first priority.
    If no will exists-a personal representative may be appointed with consent of the beneficiaries
    if quaified by NY law.