Can someone please tell me in which situations would a person be given community service as a punishment by court?

New York, NY |

Any car/driving related causes?

1. Way more information is required. Your lawyer would have the answers.

2. This is too broad. There can be many reasons such as an alternative to jail, fines, probation. It is a form of punishment that can often teach a lesson rather than the harshness of jail or the sometimes ease of spending $$ to make things go away.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

3. Typically in those situations in which some punishment, productively, is deemed appropriate, but where having something as punitive as jail, or probation, or heavy fines is not. So community service, especially for younger people, and in which the case may result in an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal might occur. It depends upon the judge and prosecutor.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

DUI court topics