Can someone please help me?i need to petition for my husband to live in the u.s.i don't even know where to begin,

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I need to know what all i need,how much every thing will cost,and how long is every thing going to take for the process.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Barry Cahn Boykin

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . There are many organizations that will give information about bringing your spouse to the U.S.

    You may call the CARPLS Legal Aid Hotline at 312-738-9200 or the Lawyer Referral Service of the Chicago Bar Association at (312) 554-2001 to find a lawyer experienced in the immigration area. It is important to find a reputable lawyer for this area of law as the rules are quite complex.

    Hope this information is helpful to you.

    One starting place is the

    The information provided here should not be construed to be formal legal advice. The provision of this general... more
  2. Dhenu Mitesh Savla


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . I highly recommend consulting and retaining an attorney you feel comfortable with.

    Dhenu Savla
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    Free Phone Consultations Available

  3. Mark Davidson


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . There are lots of attorneys listed in Chicago who specialize in immigration law. I suggest you look at that list. We are also in Chicago, so that is an option too.

  4. Mary Kathleen Neal

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . How long it will take, how much it will cost, and whether it will even be possible depend on many, many factors. For example, whether your husband is in the U.S. now, his immigration history, and any criminal history.

    An immigration attorney can help you assess your husband's admissibility and advise you on what procedures and papers will be involved.

    Mary K. Neal
    Attorney at Law
    2731 W. Touhy Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60645
    (773) 681-1335

    This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,707 answers this week

3,004 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary