Can someone please explain these legal terms to me, I am one of the victims and want to know what is happening with the appeal.

Asked over 1 year ago - Arlington, TX

From the Texas Criminal Court Of Appeals website.

Case Event Event Type Description
2/06/16 PDR DISP Appellant

Calendar Reason Set
2/21/13 Rehear Due

Does this mean that this criminal is going to get a new trial, I don't understand what this means. When the first opinion was released, the judge said there were no errors in the trial. I just don't understand legal terms and the way the court works.

Thank you.

1. Richard Stephen Jaffe

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . It means that the appeal process is not yet complete. The appellant, losing party in this case which is the person convicted, has a chance to ask the court to reconsider or rehear the case. More than likely the court will not change its opinion of affirmance (which you suggest they did). Call the prosecutor for advice and clarification.

Any response given is not to be taken as legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship.
  2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

1

Answered . The victim and witness services coordinator of the DA's office that prosecuted the case should be able to explain this or put you in touch with the appellate prosecutor who can best explain it. Just because the case is on appeal does not mean that you can't call on the prosecutor for information about the case you were a victim in.

3. Joshua Sachs

1

Answered . I am not sure what PDR means, but the second entry appears to mean that whoever lost the case on February 6th has until February 21 in which to file a petition for rehearing, which is a request for the court that has just decided the case to reconsider its ruling. Such petitions are not often granted. However, if your state has a court higher than the Court of Criminal Appeals , the defendant would also probably have the right to ask review from that court. The appeal process is slow and there are multiple layers of potential review. A Texas attorney could explain how the process works in your state.