Can someone please explain the process of the CR1 Visa and likely waiting times? What problems may occur, what delays, etc?

I am a US born citizen. My wife is an Australian born citizen. Am I able to file the paper work from Australia, or do I have to return to the USA to do it? And can she come here to visit me, or can I go to Australia to visit her, during the process, or do we HAVE to be separated the entire time?

Atlanta, GA -

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

It is possible to immigrate a spouse from abroad (although this takes more time) or in the U.S.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

Andrew Marino Bramante

Andrew Marino Bramante

Immigration Attorney - Cleveland, OH

You may file the paperwork from Australia.
You may visit Australia during the processing (unless Australia's laws prevent it, but I cannot imagine why they would).
Your wife would have a lot of trouble getting a visitor B-2 visa to visit you in the U.S. during the process. You could consider a K-3 visa (for spouse of U.S. citizen waiting for her immigrant visa to get processed), but that often takes the same amount of time.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

I concur completely. Great answer by my colleague.