Skip to main content

Can someone other than the parents of a minor file charges against someone for statutory rape in Virginia.

Bristol, VA |

i have a friend and she is 14 her boyfriend is 17. The boys step dad is threatening to have charges brought against him for statutory rape. The boys mom left the dad and now he is threatening this. There is no proof that anything has went on.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, information given to the police will be checked out by them, if they think a crime was committed they will bring it to the District Attorney and the DA will decide whether to bring charges or not.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.


Anyone can report statutory rape to the proper authorities. There is a family violence and assault hotline in your state. Once reported, the allegations would need to be investigated by the proper authorities.


An individual can make a police report to the local police. The police officer then investigates and makes a decision to get a felony warrant from a Magistrate, who reviews the evidence. The police officer may fill out a Criminal Complaint at this time. If a warrant issues, the defendant is brought before a Magistrate, who then decides whether to grant a pre-trial bond. Violent felonies are often not granted bond in Virginia, because there is a statutory presumption against bond.

This information should not be construed as legal advice. It is strongly advised that the recipient consult with an attorney in person, who can discuss the case facts in detail. The recipient should not rely on the information contained herein without a full attorney review of all the facts in the individual case.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer