Can someone just sue me for an alleged accident that happened in front of my property? With no witness?

someone allegedly got into a bicycle on bicycle accident in front of my house and is now suing me. this individual is claiming my bushes caused the accident because the bushes are over the 3ft max limit that the town has. however, she has no witnesses except for her husband. she doesn't know who hit her, didn't get her name even though the cyclist walked her home!!!she has not seen this other cyclist after. she went to the hospital a day later. i was served with papers about 6 months later. i dont have liability insurance. it has been a few years already and i cannot believe this is going to trial. i cannot afford an attorney and it looks like i will need to get one anyway since it is probably going to trial.

Amityville, NY -

Dean P Murray

Dean P Murray

DUI / DWI Attorney - Hoboken, NJ

She has a witness - her husband. Also, she can introduce photographs that she took at the time of the accident. You should consult and retain a lawyer immediately.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Personal Injury Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Yes you can be sued. Issue of fact will be decided at trial. Good luck.

Theodor Kaplun

Theodor Kaplun

Personal Injury Lawyer - Bala Cynwyd, PA

Call your local bar association and ask for a low to no cost attorney, they may be able to help you.

David Ian Schoen

David Ian Schoen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Windsor, VT

The only thing that I can offer you is that Suffolk County juries really do not like this type of lawsuit and you should have a good chance of winning. Why didn't you have homeowners insurance?

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Personal Injury Lawyer - Centennial, CO

Yes, you can be sued. The real question is whether or not the person that files that action has enough proof to prevail.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Yes, you can be sued

Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

Personal Injury Lawyer - Poughkeepsie, NY

Violation of a law or regulation that has as its purpose the type of harm that occurred is a very real and potent element of a successful personal injury suit. The injured party and the husband are two witnesses. I am sure someone photographed, measured, and otherwise preserved the evidence of the growth and probably did angle measurements, etc. You say you have no hazard insurance. You will have to fund your defense and any damages against you out of pocket.