Can someone in ICE custody get a bond set when they have their Master hearing?

Asked about 3 years ago - Houston, TX

My boyfriend is awaiting his master hearing which is in about 2 weeks. His lawyer asked for a bond hearing but they said "they didn't do that anymore", and he would just have to wait until his master hearing. He came here with a VISA, just over stayed it. He also has US citizen children, and we are planning on getting married when he gets released. Will he get a bond set when he has his master hearing? Or will he have to ask the judge at his Master Hearing about getting a Bond Hearing? He is in Livingston,TX at the moment, but was transferred from Houston,TX. He was arrested for driving with an invalid license, a felony, but got it reduced to a Failure to present ID,a class C misdameanor. Any advice will help.

1. Christian Schmidt

1

Answered . He must request a bond hearing. The judge will not hear the merits of his bond request at a Master Hearing and schedule it for a contested hearing unless the government agrees to a bond at the hearing.

2. Lynne Rogers Feldman

1

Answered . agreed

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

3. Ahmad Mohamad Yakzan

Answered . I agree with my colleague.