Skip to main content

Can someone in ICE custody get a bond set when they have their Master hearing?

Houston, TX |

My boyfriend is awaiting his master hearing which is in about 2 weeks. His lawyer asked for a bond hearing but they said "they didn't do that anymore", and he would just have to wait until his master hearing. He came here with a VISA, just over stayed it. He also has US citizen children, and we are planning on getting married when he gets released. Will he get a bond set when he has his master hearing? Or will he have to ask the judge at his Master Hearing about getting a Bond Hearing? He is in Livingston,TX at the moment, but was transferred from Houston,TX. He was arrested for driving with an invalid license, a felony, but got it reduced to a Failure to present ID,a class C misdameanor. Any advice will help.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. He must request a bond hearing. The judge will not hear the merits of his bond request at a Master Hearing and schedule it for a contested hearing unless the government agrees to a bond at the hearing.

    This response does not contitue and attorney client relationship and attorney does not assume any liability for aforementioned response to inquiry until such relationship is formally established.

  2. I agree with my colleague.

    The answer to this question is general in nature and is based on the limited facts presented in the question. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and no such relationship will be formed with Mr. Yakzan until a formal consultation is conducted at his office.

  3. agreed

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

    Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics