Can someone getaway with stealing & damaging my vehicle cause lack of police evidence?

Austin, TX |

these people stole my keys out my purse and took off in my car. they put a lot of damage and miles onto my vehicle and I had a meeting with the detective and by the way he was acting and responding to my questions he was saying my case isn't strong enough, he has to see what the DA would decide before any charges can be put on the people who stole & damaged my vehicle, can they really getaway with this?

1. You can contact the district attorney's office and see if they will assist. Most DA's offices have a victim coordinator.

Also, you should speak to a civil lawyer about filing suit for the damage to your vehicle.

My avvo answers are not legal advice. This is not an attorney client relationship. Before making any decision on how to proceed, you should hire the best local criminal defense lawyer you can afford. Do not post sensitive information on Avvo, this forum is not privileged or confidential.

2. Sure. If you think about it, I'm sure you would not want to be convicted of a crime if there were no evidence to prove that you did what someone said you did. Of course, sworn testimony given under oath IS evidence. In other words, if there are witnesses, they might be able to provide enough evidence to justify filing a case, but if not, no DA is going to file a case she doesn't think she can prove.

Mr. Guest is right on both counts. Most prosecutor's offices have a victim and witness coordinator who should be willing to meet with you and go over the details of the situation. And, a civil attorney can evaluate the strength of a potential suit for damages against the people you believe are responsible.

This answer is intended to be taken as general information and not as specific legal advice. You should always consult a qualified attorney and make him familiar with all the relevant facts in order to get proper legal advice. Every case is different, and they must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. David N. Smith Austin, Texas dasmithaus@gmail.com (512) 457-0100