Skip to main content

Can someone get legal status for an emergency medical condition?

Fellsmere, FL |

My sister-in-law is an illegal immigrant. Her daughter was born in the U.S. She had a small intestinal transplant while in the U.S. in which emergency Medicaid covered her expenses. She lives in California and all her family lives in Florida . Can she get legal status so she can receive Medicaid coverage in Florida so that she can receive the medical treatment she desperately needs?

Attorney Answers 3


Sorry ... the answer most likely is no.

Meet with an attorney.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


Please consult with an immigration lawyer, so he/she can evaluate the facts and determine whether your sister-in-law has a chance to get a cancellation of removal (assuming removal proceedings will commence).

609-271-3573. This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


Not based on the information you have provided. Seek a consultation with an immigration attorney to see if there are any options available.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics