CAN SOMEONE FILL OUT FORM N-400 FROM ABROAD AND WHAT IS THE PRESENCE TIME REQUIRED TO BECOME CITIZEN?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bayonne, NJ

MY FRIEND IS IN DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AND HE WANTS TO BECOME U.S. CITIZEN. WHAT IS THE REQUIRED PRESENCE TIME? HE WAS HERE IN U.S. FOR MORE THAN 5 YEARS AND THEN HE LEFT TO DOMINICAN REPUBLIC WITH A 2-YEARS TRAVEL PERMIT. DOES HE QUALIFY FOR CITIZENSHIP?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

Answered . If he stays outside the US for one year or more, he will lose his ability to seek naturalization for four years and one day.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . He must be in the U.S. to apply for citizenship. Since he has a reentry permit (I think that's what you are referring to with the 2 year travel permit) he is not in jeopardy of losing his residence, but he will have to be in the U.S. and meet the physical presence requirement before he can apply.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . OOPS ... a single absence from the US of more than 6 months RESETS the residence clock, unless a N-470 was filed.

Your friend needs to get back 'home' to the US so that they don't try to cancel his residence.

Just because he has a 2 year permit, it doesn't mean he can stay away for a full 2 years on one trip.

4. Yolanda Navarrete

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You can find more information at uscis.gov.