Can someone file a harassment complaint (in VA) against me for sending a text message?

Chesapeake, VA |

I sent a text to the ex wife of my current fiancee. She has continually harassed us, followed us and generally made life horrible. I have very little contact with her, but I had enough and wanted her to leave us alone. The text simply told her to change her name- she still has my fiancee's last name and to move on. That was it.

1. Your text was not harassing. It was inappropriate. You cannot force her to use a different name. She is entitled to keep her married name, even after the divorce.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

2. As phrased, IMHO that text was not harassing. Can someone file a harassment charge? Sure, but based on what you've presented, I do not believe that such a text would force local police to pursue it, or allow the ex to get very far civilly.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

3. There are other ways to get her to leave you alone that do not involve risk of you getting in trouble for harrassment: like filing a police report or filing a lawsuit. I suggest you investigate those options if her harrassment is really that bad, but I agree with my colleagues advice - leave her alone.

Good luck to you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.