Can someone file a garnishment for small claims judgement in Loudoun, VA totally on my behalf?

Leesburg, VA |

I have a judgement for $1,950 and it is not worth me taking another day or so off to file this judgement, but I want to complete the process. Can this be done for me if I provide all information and about how much of the $1,950 will something like this cost?

1. Yes. You can hire a lawyer to "complete the process". Some may charge you a flat rate, others an hourly rate. You would need to contact a lawyer directly to determine exaclty what he/she would charge. If its not worth your taking a day off, I suspect you won't find it worth what an attorney would charge you either--but call around, you may find someone willing to do the legwork for you. I wish you the best of luck.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

2. If I understand your question correctly, yes a lawyer can absolutely file a garnishment for you. I don't practice in Loudoun, but I am sure you will be able to find someone relatively easily to collect the debt. With a judgment of that size you probably want to find someone who does high volume collections practice. I cannot comment on what someone else will charge, but typically, in my region, lawyers take those type matters on a contingency with you paying costs.

Good Luck!

Adam M. Carroll, Esq.
    W O L C O T T R I V E R S G A T E S
    Attorneys at Law
    Convergence Center IV
    301 Bendix Road, Suite 500
    Virginia Beach, VA 23452
    Telephone (757) 497-6633
    Direct Dial (757) 554-0249
    Fax (757) 687-3678
    www.wolcottriversgates.com

The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. Wolcott Rivers Gates disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by Wolcott Rivers Gates and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure

3. A lawyer in the Leesburg area will probably charge around $250 per hour and there is no guarantee that you will collect anything as garnishments are what send people to the bankruptcy lawyer. If you are seeking to file a garnishment and you know the information, you can file it during your lunch break. You can get the forms from the court website and fill them before you go to the courthouse.

For informational purposes only. Not legal advice.