Can someone extort you into having a relationship if they are holding grand larceny charges over your head

Buffalo, NY |

the larceny is by trick for a lie i told him to get money, but he said as long as i am ina relationship with him he wouldnt press charges. then he became a control freak and a stalker so i had to break off the relationship and now he has pressed grand larceny charges against me

1. Two can play the game. He has little or no proof that you stole money from him. If he tells the truth to the cops, that he discovered the theft months ago, and continued having the relationship, they probably wont pursue the case. If you go to the police and say he forced you to have sex with him under threat of arrest, they might take action. The crime could be coercion.

2. More details would be necessary to properly discuss the situation. You might want to consider consulting with a local attorney. Good luck.

This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

3. Whether the grand larceny charge sticks depends on the evidence. I suggest you not speak with the police without a criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.