Can someone explain clerkship at a law firm route leading to a get license to a bar, especially in States like NY, NJ, CT etc...

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I am currently a UK qualified Chartered Management Accountant, soon moving to USA, financial situation doesn't allow me to spare $30000-50000 per year for a law school as I have a family and child. I heard about a route to become a lawyer in USA which involves taking up clerkship role in a law firm under direct supervision of an attorney. Can someone please explain, does this apply to almost every state or certain? Money is a problem, so will I be required to attend the university/college and pay hefty amount? How many years do I have to work under an attorney to be eligible to apply for bar exam? Do lawyers hire students/clerks with this motive? If every state has very different approach to it, I would prefer NY. NJ and other Eastern Coast states. Your guidance will be highly appreciated.

If any of you lawyers do such contracts/hiring, please leave a brief text with requirements below and I will contact you. Otherwise simply guidance is fine too.

Thanks once again in advance.

1. Galen Hair

Pro

1

1

Answered . Most states will not allow you to do this period. But a handful of states will allow you to clerk and/or sit for the bar exam.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Best Answer

Answered . Lots of good questions--too many to effectively answer in this forum. Some states (mine for example) offer routes to entering the law that circumvent law school--a throw back to the old days. That said, as a practical matter, the odds of finding someone willing to donate the required amount of time is slim. you'd need to locate a retired attorney/judge who is willing to donate huge tracts of time to your development. For an initial idea about how it works, check out http://barexam.virginia.gov/reader/readerrules....

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . I don't know of any states that still have that.