Can someone explain clerkship at a law firm route leading to a get license to a bar, especially in States like NY, NJ, CT etc...

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I am currently a UK qualified Chartered Management Accountant, soon moving to USA, financial situation doesn't allow me to spare $30000-50000 per year for a law school as I have a family and child. I heard about a route to become a lawyer in USA which involves taking up clerkship role in a law firm under direct supervision of an attorney. Can someone please explain, does this apply to almost every state or certain? Money is a problem, so will I be required to attend the university/college and pay hefty amount? How many years do I have to work under an attorney to be eligible to apply for bar exam? Do lawyers hire students/clerks with this motive? If every state has very different approach to it, I would prefer NY. NJ and other Eastern Coast states. Your guidance will be highly appreciated.

Additional information

If any of you lawyers do such contracts/hiring, please leave a brief text with requirements below and I will contact you. Otherwise simply guidance is fine too.

Thanks once again in advance.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Most states will not allow you to do this period. But a handful of states will allow you to clerk and/or sit for the bar exam.

    No attorney client relationship is created by virtue of this answer. Further, answers are for information only... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Lots of good questions--too many to effectively answer in this forum. Some states (mine for example) offer routes to entering the law that circumvent law school--a throw back to the old days. That said, as a practical matter, the odds of finding someone willing to donate the required amount of time is slim. you'd need to locate a retired attorney/judge who is willing to donate huge tracts of time to your development. For an initial idea about how it works, check out

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of... more
  3. Answered . I don't know of any states that still have that.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,045 answers this week

3,687 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,045 answers this week

3,687 attorneys answering