Can someone define/explain the difference between temp. custody, full custody, temp. guardianship, guardianship, etc.?

Tupelo, MS |

Trying to make a decision on which option to choose. I have talked to the parents of the child that I'm wanting custody or guardianship of. I want to know more about our options before I pay for a lawyer. If they agree on signing her over to me, what are the steps we will have to take? Can anyone give me an estimate of the cost I'm looking at? I will add, I'm 19 years old. (Will be 20 on 4/28/13) I would like to know my rights and their rights for each particular option. (Custody, guardianship, etc.) If we choose temp. custody or guardianship, can they get her back whenever they want? Any information about this kind of thing would be greatly appreciated!

A simple guardianship is most likely the route you will take unless you are attempting to adopt.

The law office of Anders Ferrington 601-316-8428 practices state wide. In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but instead need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice.

Could you explain what a simple guardianship is? I'm not trying to adopt.

You need to schedule an appointment with an attorney before I would attempt to offer any answer. With your age being a possible factor against you in a custody fight, I tend to agree with Mr. Ferrington about the guardianship. However, there are far more issues that probably need to talked out with an attorney. Sorry, but there is not much more information you will be able to get from a few lines posted on an internet website.

No attorney-client relationship has been formed by this answer. The answer given herein should not be your only inquiry into the matter or issue. You should schedule an appointment and seek the advice of an attorney to fully explain the facts so that the attorney can make an informed analysis and recommendation concerning your problem and advise you of all of your rights.

Recommended articles about Family law