Can someone define/explain the difference between temp. custody, full custody, temp. guardianship, guardianship, etc.?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tupelo, MS

Trying to make a decision on which option to choose. I have talked to the parents of the child that I'm wanting custody or guardianship of. I want to know more about our options before I pay for a lawyer. If they agree on signing her over to me, what are the steps we will have to take? Can anyone give me an estimate of the cost I'm looking at? I will add, I'm 19 years old. (Will be 20 on 4/28/13) I would like to know my rights and their rights for each particular option. (Custody, guardianship, etc.) If we choose temp. custody or guardianship, can they get her back whenever they want? Any information about this kind of thing would be greatly appreciated!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Anders Ferrington

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . A simple guardianship is most likely the route you will take unless you are attempting to adopt.

    The law office of Anders Ferrington 601-316-8428 practices state wide. In no way am I offering you legal advice,... more
  2. Jon H Powell


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You need to schedule an appointment with an attorney before I would attempt to offer any answer. With your age being a possible factor against you in a custody fight, I tend to agree with Mr. Ferrington about the guardianship. However, there are far more issues that probably need to talked out with an attorney. Sorry, but there is not much more information you will be able to get from a few lines posted on an internet website.

    No attorney-client relationship has been formed by this answer. The answer given herein should not be your only... more

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Guardianship and child custody

A guardianship is a legal arrangement for who will have custody and be responsible for the care of child, or "ward." The guardian acts in the child's interests.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,389 answers this week

3,462 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,389 answers this week

3,462 attorneys answering