Skip to main content

Can someone be him/her own co-sponsor in an immigration petition I-864 ?

Miami, FL |
Filed under: Immigration

I'm a student and my husband-to-be is a student as well. Is it possible that I'll be my own co-sponsor for I-864 ? If yes, what assets should be considered as sufficient for such a case ?


I'm a foreigner and the fiance is a US citizen. Our combined income is less than $10000 a year.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You can combine your income on the I-864A.

    Read the instructions. that should be useful.


  2. Even combining your income, you will need a cosponsor.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. Yes, you can be the co-sponsor with your husband-to-be. If you have income earned in the United States while you were authorized to work. Or, you can also use you savings accounts or any other account that can be liquidated fast. The instructions for the I-864 and I-864A has a useful information. Good luck.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics