Skip to main content

Can someone be charged for theft if money was left in a change machine at a casino.

Houston, TX |

I was playing at a local casino in Louisiana and money was left in the change machine. I took the money and didn't think about turning it in at the time because no one was around and I assumed they left the premises.
I was later approached by security and several members of management. Realizing they had a different agenda I offered to give the money back, especially after one of the managers called me a thief. Eventually they called the state police and they put forth every effort to arrest me. I was handcuffed and placed inside a patrol car for at least 30 minutes. Eventually I was taken to my car and was told I was banned from the casino and I would received the court information by mail for the theft charge. I was told by my friend the officers wanted to arrest me but couldn't.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If it happens as you said, and obviously there is a video, I don't think a theft charge would stick (Keeping in mind that keeping lost property that doesn't belong to you is larceny, but change in a machine?) I think you should speak with a personal injury/civil rights lawyer about the detainment. It sounds like it may have been unlawful.

    If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

  2. This is a purely criminal law issue. I have edited the practice area you selected so that you will receive responses from lawyers who practice criminal law and will be able to give you a much more reliable answer than I could.

    Good luck.

  3. Yes, you can be charged with theft; however, that doesn't mean you don't have any defenses so hire a lawyer to help you

    If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit Good luck!

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics