Can someone be charged for theft if money was left in a change machine at a casino.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I was playing at a local casino in Louisiana and money was left in the change machine. I took the money and didn't think about turning it in at the time because no one was around and I assumed they left the premises.
I was later approached by security and several members of management. Realizing they had a different agenda I offered to give the money back, especially after one of the managers called me a thief. Eventually they called the state police and they put forth every effort to arrest me. I was handcuffed and placed inside a patrol car for at least 30 minutes. Eventually I was taken to my car and was told I was banned from the casino and I would received the court information by mail for the theft charge. I was told by my friend the officers wanted to arrest me but couldn't.

1. Carmine John Giardino

4

1

Answered . Yes, you can be charged with theft; however, that doesn't mean you don't have any defenses so hire a lawyer to help you

2. Don Karotkin

2

1

Answered . This is a purely criminal law issue. I have edited the practice area you selected so that you will receive responses from lawyers who practice criminal law and will be able to give you a much more reliable answer than I could.

3. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

2

1

Answered . If it happens as you said, and obviously there is a video, I don't think a theft charge would stick (Keeping in mind that keeping lost property that doesn't belong to you is larceny, but change in a machine?) I think you should speak with a personal injury/civil rights lawyer about the detainment. It sounds like it may have been unlawful.