Skip to main content

Can somebody who has a deportation order to marry a US citizen?

Miami, FL |

Can somebody who has a deportation order to marry a US citizen? What the chances would be for that person to become a resident ?( if it is possible )
Thank you

The deportation order has been issued because that person overstayed his visa. That person has been arrested for a drug related offense, but the charges has been dropped. ( no other records ) I want this person to stay i the country and I want to help him with everything that I can. Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This is complicated and unclear. An experienced attorney needs to know the reason why your fiance was ordered deported. Efforts can be undertaken that may prove challenging. You may not be ready for what may prove to be an emotional roller coaster. He can get married to you, where he is single, lawfully divorced, or widowed. However, your fiance may not be allowed to legally stay in the U.S. You may have to decide whether you are able or willing to leave with him/her, as well, and lawfully live in his/her home country.

An attorney will have to decide whether you should file a petition for him/her. S/He will have to decide whether s/he wants to try to re-open his removal case to get rid of the final order of deportation. This is a difficult situation. What is possible and what will be done is unclear without further information.

The above is general information, not legal advice. The above reply does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer