Skip to main content

Can somebody in jail still sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity Form?

Dallas, PA |

He is doing a 2 to 4 year sentence. He is the father and he wants to be on the birth certificate. If he can't am I able to at least put his last name on the certificate?

Attorney Answers 1


The fact that he is in jail is of no moment to your case. If the putative father wants to acknowledge paternity to a court, he may do so. By agreeing to be on the child's birth certificate, he has acknowledged paternity and will be forever estopped from disclaiming paternity after 60 days have passed from the date of acknowledgement pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 5103 (relating to child custody and paternity). The Department of Public Welfare has these acknowledgement forms available and may even have them on their website. Simply have him sign in prison before a witness and send it to the Deparment of Public Welfare. Both parents are required to provide their SSN's, so make sure you have his to provide as well.

Good luck!

Responses on AVVO do not create an attorney-client relationship. You shold consult with counsel for a full review of your case.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

Birth certificate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics