Skip to main content

Can some one serve you court papers while you are at court?

San Jose, CA |

Also, can you be served with a Civil Harassment Restraining Order while you at work?

Attorney Answers 4



Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


This is not legal advice, and this response does not create an attorney client relationship.

My colleauge is generally correct in answering "yes." As with all things in the law, exceptions exist.

An out-of-state/nonresident defendant specially appearing to contest personal jurisdiction cannot be properly served while in the state for this purpose. Another exception is that an out-of-state/nonresident witness that is under subpoena to testify in the state cannot be properly served while in the state for the purpose of providing testimony.

Good luck!

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Generally speaking, yes. And also yes for at work.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It is my understanding that legal papers cannot be served in the Courtroom; however, you can be served outside the doors of the Court, even in the hallway. I hope this is helpful.

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics