Can some one serve you court papers while you are at court?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

Also, can you be served with a Civil Harassment Restraining Order while you at work?

1. Hans Albert Gillinger

Pro

4

Answered . This is not legal advice, and this response does not create an attorney client relationship.

My colleauge is generally correct in answering "yes." As with all things in the law, exceptions exist.

An out-of-state/nonresident defendant specially appearing to contest personal jurisdiction cannot be properly served while in the state for this purpose. Another exception is that an out-of-state/nonresident witness that is under subpoena to testify in the state cannot be properly served while in the state for the purpose of providing testimony.

Good luck!

2. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

3

Answered . Yes.

3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

1

Answered . Generally speaking, yes. And also yes for at work.

4. John Noah Kitta

1

Answered . It is my understanding that legal papers cannot be served in the Courtroom; however, you can be served outside the doors of the Court, even in the hallway. I hope this is helpful.