Can some one please help my nephew he have been charge with first degree murderand arson? they have no proof only hear say help

Asked almost 2 years ago - Walled Lake, MI

this crime happen 7-11-2010, my nephew got arrest dec 22 2011, they have sentence him to life with no parole. he is innocent will someone please help us he is only 24 years old and was going to school for criminal justices. god be with us a concern auntie

1. James S. Lawrence

2

Best Answer

Answered . There are several attorneys, including myself, who handle criminal appeal cases arising out of Oakland County. You want to find one right away. Preferably, find one who also, like myself, has a lot of experience in handling federal habeas corpus cases (where an appeal often goes after losing in the state courts). If you cannot afford an appeal attorney make sure that a written request signed by the defendant arrives at the judge's office within 42 days of the sentencing, to ensure that the appeal is of right and not by way of asking for leave to appeal. A lawyer, if you hire one, will also need to file papers within 42 days of sentencing. Good luck.

2. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

2

Answered . With sentencing over, obviously a judge or jury convicted him. If there were errors, he will get an appeal as of right with a court appointed attorney. Anything beyond that or if the family can afford it, he can hire appellate counsel. This will certainly run 10$ thousand or more for skilled counsel. I with you all the best.

3. Joshua Paul Rubin

2

Answered . I agree, contact a local attorney. Be ready to pay in order to get a good attorney to review this case.

4. Mariell Rebekah McLatcher

2

Answered . Contact a local attorney that does appellate work as he has already been convicted and sentenced.

5. David Lloyd Merrill

Pro

2

Answered . Mr. Klisz is absolutely correct -- his having been convicted means he will be in the appellate system and will need competent appellate counsel to assist him.

Note that the internet is no place to be seeking this brand of life-and-death advice. Speak to a local lawyer to help.

6. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

1

Answered . Murder and arson are among the most complex and difficult cases criminal defense lawyers face. He should be appealing from his conviction.

Unfortunately, innocent people can be convicted by our system. There cannot be a conviction without evidence. However that does not mean they have to catch someone in the act.

Often people think that because it isn’t a murder case, a drunk driving case is simple. Nothing could be further from the truth. These cases can be among the most complex a criminal defense lawyer handles. The government is willing to spend an incredible amount of money to convict you though. They will have expert witnesses available for consultation and trial.

That you have been charged or that some contraption says your alcohol level was at a certain level does not mean that you are guilty. It certainly does not mean that you can be proven guilty using competent, valid evidence.

Field sobriety “tests” are designed to give police a reason to arrest. You cannot “pass” them. The police will admit that almost a third of healthy young adults who take these tests without any alcohol will be judged to be “under the influence” – and that assumes they are properly administered!

After even a first drunk driving conviction, you may face employment discrimination. You will certainly be charged higher for insurance. Having such a conviction will also make you a target for drunk driving arrest in future interactions with police. You will automatically become a suspect.

You will want a lawyer who is familiar with field sobriety “tests,” perhaps one who is certified to administer these tests. You will want a lawyer familiar with the weaknesses of the contraptions that are used to report alcohol or drug levels. You want an experienced trial lawyer, used to cross-examining police officers. Police officers are practiced, experienced witnesses.

That is, you want an experienced drunk driving defense lawyer, whether you call the offense DUI, OWI, DWI, OUI, or drugged driving.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/drunk_driving_lawyer.htm

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer
    http://www.facebook.com/MadisonWiDrunkDrivingLa...

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer
    http://addbalance.com/fieldsobrietytests.htm

--- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duidrugs.htm

--- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers
    http://addbalance.com/duimath.htm

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duitendaywarning.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

See “more” link below for more important information about this answer and AVVO.