CAN SMALL CLAIMS COURT JUDGEMENT GARNISH THE IRS TAX RETURN

Asked over 1 year ago - Medina, OH

I LOAN A FRIEND $1,000 DOLLARS SINGED A LOAN AGREEMENT WITH ME AND HAS NOT PAID IT BACK , SO I FILED TO COLLECT THROUGH THE COURTS ,I WON. IT HAS BEEN OVER A FEW MONTH'S SO I FILED TO GARNISHMENT OF WAGES , AND NOW HER WAGES ARE NOT ENOUGH TO GARNISH.... WHAT OR WHERE DO I GO NEXT ,CAN I FILL SOMETHING ON HER TAX RETURN ,SHE HAS NO CAR OR PROPERTY TO PUT A LIEN ON??????

1. Peter Stephen Kirner

2

Answered . Collection is always the difficult part. I agree with counsel, you will not likely be able to force the IRS to send the money directly to you. You may, as counsel suggests, want to file a bank attachment to try and sweep the funds. You may also want to retain an attorney to help. Good luck.

2. Andrew Michael Korduba

Pro

1

Answered . No. Unfortunately, you cannot garnish her tax refund(s). Only a government agency can do that. You can seize any money her a bank accounts but this must be done by court order. Other than that, there is not much you can do. Good luck!

3. Evan A Nielsen

1

Answered . You might consider attaching a bank account - perhpas the one into which a tax refund would be directed, but you'll have some difficulty redirecting her refund directly. Unfortunately, when assets are non-existent, it's very difficult to collect a judgment.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now