Can Small Claims court Judgement be appeal by Plaintiff? Judge give capricious decision.

Corona, CA |

Facts:
Car accident medical claim, Defendant : Farmers Insurance and defendant, Claim amount $9000.00 (Include Personal Injury, pain and suffering), defendant properly served, Defendant or Farmers Insurance company never showed up for hearing, Judge mails the decision latter, Plaintiff awarded judgement of $1000.00, Can I appeal this judgement and have it for $9000.00. Is this logical decision of California Small court Judge in Moreno Valley. Did Judge err in deciding on the logic.

1. You cannot Appeal per se however, you can back door around by filing a motion to correct or vacate the judgement based on erroneous conclusion of law/facts. There is a form on the courts website. Assuming you properly presented your evidence - your argument will be along the lines that all evidence presented was undisputed, etc... you may want to consult with an attorney on filing this motion since this will be your one shot. FYI you do not sue the insurance carrier only the driver and vehicle owner. the insurer is simply there to indemnify.

2. Unfortunately, a Plaintiff in a Small Claims matter does not have the right to appeal the verdict. Only the defendant has that right. Therefore, you do not have the right to appeal. You also do not provide enough information about the facts of the accident or the injuries suffered; therefore, I cannot properly evaluate the case or the reasonableness of the verdict.

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

3. Only a defendant can file an appeal of a small claims judgment. BUT if you are the plaintiff, and the defendant counter-sued you by filing a Defendant's Claim in response to your Plaintiff's Claim and you lose, you CAN appeal. Since a small claims appeal is a brand-new trial, the entire case is decided from scratch. Good luck.

4. I agree with Mr. Harting and feel that your best argument for seeking correction is that the court must have meant to award you the small claims jurisdictional limit of $10,000 since your claim was unopposed but a typo cased judgment to be entered for only$1,000 as a clerical error. In your supporting declaration, note the amount of your medical bills if they exceed $1,000 to further evidence the typo argument. Note, though that the actual limit applicable to your small claims case is $7,500. See the court's website which reads, "There are some exceptions to the $10,000 limit for individuals: If you are filing a claim for bodily injuries as a result of a car accident against a person who has car insurance that includes a "duty to defend," you can only sue that person for $7,500." Lastly, take action because several procedural limitations require a filing within 30-days. We have small claims guidance in our blog linked below.

As stated above, this is an incomplete answer but an attempt to provide a cursory overview of a subject that attorneys 'practice' and improve upon during the entirety of their legal careers. This response is not meant as legal advice or as a legal opinion. Such advice would be impossible or impractical without additional information and more facts giving rise to the question. A consultation with an attorney is necessary.

5. No, Plaintiff cannot appeal. "Only the defendant, or a plaintiff who was counter sued as a cross-defendant and lost on the cross-complaint, can appeal a small claims case. A plaintiff cannot file an appeal. The defendant or cross-defendant must have been present at the time of trial in order to appeal the decision."

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.

6. Call an attorney immediately for help with a car accident involving property damage and personal injury. Hopefully, a local lawyer can correct these mistakes.

24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at http://www.hoffmannpersonalinjury.com.

7. Unfortunately, a Plaintiff cannot appeal and have a new trial. You can file a petition for reconsideration and/or a petition to set aside the judgement based on new facts or that the judge's decision was based on wrong facts or law. A good self help web site is http://www.courts.ca.gov/1072.htm.

8. What are your total medical bills?

Direct Line to Attorney: 877-427-2752 or Email: Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com; Website: www.KingofPi.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

9. Ok, so what my colleague failed to specifically mention is this:
    Form SC-105 (Request For Court Order and Answer) and Form SC-108 (Request To Correct or Cancel).

Both of these forms will REQUIRE that the judge issue some kind of order. Whether or not the order is issued is another story. You can download the forms here:
    www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/sc105.pdf
    www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/sc108.pdf

They are simple to fill in, and free to file. You just need to be patient with the court system on getting an answer.

If you have further questions, be sure to speak with a lawyer that knows about Small Claims.

Adam Jaffe Law Office of Adam Jay Jaffe 124 Lomas Santa Fe Dr, #204 Solana Beach, CA 92075 (619) 810-7964 www.smallclaimsappeals.com Adam@SmallClaimsAppeals.com This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice". Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different states.