Can short travels to US during a period of 24 months, be enough to maintain continouos residence requirement for naturalization?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rockville, MD

Im a LPR since November 2007. Between November 2007 and January 2011, I was physically present in the US.
On January 2011, I moved to Canada due to a job assignment (I work for a US company). I obtained a reentry permit, but unfortunately, I didnt file a form I-470.
While working in Canada, I made short visits to the US (for 7 to 10 days each trip). My absences from the US were less than 6 months between trips.
During my time in Canada, I kept my house in the US, my US bank accounts and I paid taxes as a US Resident.
I just came back to Maryland this January and I want to apply for US Citizenship.
Do I comply with the continouos residence requirement for naturalization?

Thanks in advance

1. Michael Hugh Carlin

7

2

Best Answer

Answered . Based on the information you provided, it appears that you comply with the continuous residence requirement. USCIS may well ask questions about your employment in Canada. Was your assignment considered temporary? Did your immediate relatives remain in the United States? You should definitely consult with an immigration attorney, who would review all of the facts.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

5

2

Answered . With good documentation, and an attorney sitting by your side, you will probably prevail.

The only way to change my answer from probably to 'no problem' will be for you to meet with an attorney and show him/her all your documents.

One issue I have seen come up is in relation to your house. Was it vacant? Did you rent it out? Did someone else live there? ... good things to discuss with your attorney.

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

1

Answered . You need to add up all your time abroad and if it is more than half of the residency requirement, then you do not qualify.

4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

3

1

Answered . You have a yes and a no.
    I don't think anyone can answer your question without a
    more detailed analysis of your residence time lines.