Can Sheriff's Dept & Landlord take my house key & kick me out of the house w/out an eviction notice?

Baldwin Park, CA |

Living situation- I live w/ one other person, to whom I pay rent monthly. I've only lived there going on 2 months. We have no documentation as far as our rental agreement goes. The property is owned by a third party who doesn't live there. So last night, the guy I rent from, our visitors & I were apprehended by gang unit from Industry Sheriffs Dept. Long story short, my 2 friends & I were let go & the guy I rent from was taken into custody for possession. Before let go, the property owner was called & came to the house to speak with police. They then told me to go inside & get my things & that I could not return to the property until I scheduled a day w/ the owner to pick up all my stuff. I have no family or resources to live off of. Im trying to figure out what my rights are.

1. Generally a landlord must follow all eviction procedures when evicting either a tenant or subtenant from the premises. Have you discussed these matters with the sheriff and the landlord? Do you have any utilities in your name?

This response is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice. Any information provided is for educational purposes only. The exchange of communications through Avvo.com and similar social media does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my office.

Landlord-tenant law topics