Skip to main content

Can she get money from a lawsuit in the divorce when the lawsuit is ongoing?

Chicago, IL |

I live in cook county il. I am going through a divorce. My father died on the operating table in 2005. The lawsuit for malpractice/wrongful death was filed in 2006. I was married in 2010. We are now going through a divorce in 2013 and the lawsuit is still ongoing. She is asking for 28% of the lawsuit. Is she entitled?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Your wife can ask for anything she desires. That does not mean she will get it. This is an excellent discussion to have with your lawyer. Is it possible she is asking for 28% because this will be income to you and you have 2 children? Again - This is a discussion to have with your lawyer. You may have anticipated income but that does not mean your wife is entitled to 28% of the gross proceeds from a wrongful death or med mal suit, especially if you were married after the suit was filed.

  2. I do not think she will have a good basis to get a portion of the lawsuit unless she thinks she will get a portion of it as child support. Discuss with your lawyer.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

  3. Probably not. But you should discuss it with a local attorney who is familiar with the rest of your case.

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics