Can sexual harassment occur when two people don't work together?

Asked about 2 years ago - Columbus, OH

This is actually a question for a school project I'm working on. In the scenario, a female employee from my company has gone to a meeting with a potential client. When she returns from the meeting, she claims that this male client made some sexual comments and suggestions to her. In addition, this client made several casual physical contacts with her that were unwanted. Every policy on sexual harassment I can find seems to apply when two people work together or when one person is looking to be hired by another. In this scenario, the two parties are not working together and clearly no sexual assault occurred. Does my female employee have any legal recourse in this situation on the grounds of sexual harassment?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

4

Answered . This is not a homework site.

That probably sounds stuffy and unpleasant. Blame that on the fact that I field a dozen calls a week from students who are in trouble and facing formal school discipline for academic integrity violations based on improper use of the internet for classwork. Most of them cannot afford the kind of legal defense that they need.

Rules are important: school rules, site rules. The rules for this site are found in the Terms of Use.

2. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

1

Answered . I agree that this question is a mis-use of this site. You should do your research and also contact your local EEOC office.