Can sexual harassment occur when two people don't work together?

Columbus, OH |

This is actually a question for a school project I'm working on. In the scenario, a female employee from my company has gone to a meeting with a potential client. When she returns from the meeting, she claims that this male client made some sexual comments and suggestions to her. In addition, this client made several casual physical contacts with her that were unwanted. Every policy on sexual harassment I can find seems to apply when two people work together or when one person is looking to be hired by another. In this scenario, the two parties are not working together and clearly no sexual assault occurred. Does my female employee have any legal recourse in this situation on the grounds of sexual harassment?

1. This is not a homework site.

That probably sounds stuffy and unpleasant. Blame that on the fact that I field a dozen calls a week from students who are in trouble and facing formal school discipline for academic integrity violations based on improper use of the internet for classwork. Most of them cannot afford the kind of legal defense that they need.

Rules are important: school rules, site rules. The rules for this site are found in the Terms of Use.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

2. I agree that this question is a mis-use of this site. You should do your research and also contact your local EEOC office.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/