Can Salli Mae garnish my SS disability direct deposit?

Asked about 1 year ago - Winter Park, FL

This was a government school loan from the early 90's. The payments will be over $200/mo! I'm barely making it now.

The only thing I own is my car. I have no savings and depend on SS.

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

3

Answered . Sallie Mae can attach social security benefits and frequently does do this when loans go into default. Your best bet is to see if this loan is eligible for some kind of debt forgiveness. If your disability prevents you from working, it might be possible to eliminate this debt through bankruptcy, but that is an expensive & complicated process. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Clifford Michael Farrell

2

Answered . Yes.

Social Security benefits are exempt from garnishment EXCEPT in cases where the debt is owed for certain specific reasons like for a debt to the government, student loans included, or to satisfy a child support order.

You may be able to work out a payment agreement, but since they can just take the money when it comes in, you are not really in much of a bargaining position. Still, you have nothing to lose by asking.

Sorry for the bad news. Best of luck to you.