Can Salli Mae garnish my SS disability direct deposit?

Winter Park, FL |

This was a government school loan from the early 90's. The payments will be over $200/mo! I'm barely making it now.

The only thing I own is my car. I have no savings and depend on SS.

1. Sallie Mae can attach social security benefits and frequently does do this when loans go into default. Your best bet is to see if this loan is eligible for some kind of debt forgiveness. If your disability prevents you from working, it might be possible to eliminate this debt through bankruptcy, but that is an expensive & complicated process. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Yes.

Social Security benefits are exempt from garnishment EXCEPT in cases where the debt is owed for certain specific reasons like for a debt to the government, student loans included, or to satisfy a child support order.

You may be able to work out a payment agreement, but since they can just take the money when it comes in, you are not really in much of a bargaining position. Still, you have nothing to lose by asking.

Sorry for the bad news. Best of luck to you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.