Can return of tenants security deposit via check release landlord from all claims tenant has, Landlord wrote that on the check?

Atascadero, CA |

I received a full return of my security deposit. Landlord wrote on the check in the memo area; "Paid in full, includes security deposit refund & all claims (past, present & future) by tenant".

If I cash the check will I be releasing my landlord from any and all claims I have against him?

1. Not if you cross it out before you endorse it. See CA Civil Code section 1526.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. In Texas you can't limit liability by a simple check notation.. I would not only cross out the language, but initial it. Then, make a photocopy. You may need proof at a later date.

3. The landlord is supposed to return your security deposit "without condition." In other words, he cannot condition your receipt of the money that you have a right to receive on your agreement to give up other claims.

The effect of a landlord's attempt to include such a condition is not clear. The attempt to impose a condition may be invalid. It may also mean that you can return the check, so that the landlord has not complied with the obligation to pay you your deposit within 21 days.