Can restitution be taken out of federal return or only state returns if was not federal charges?

Asked 9 months ago - San Francisco, CA

If I paroled from a ca state prison can they seize my federal tax return too or only state return via franchise tax board?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Andrew Stephen Roberts


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I believe it can be taken wherever they can find it. The state taxes are the easiest for them .

  2. John M. Kaman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I don't see how they can touch your federal return. They can seize your bank account and if you deposited your return there it'll go with everything else.

  3. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You will find out shortly, won't you. This is more of a question for a collections or tax attorney.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA.... more

Related Topics

Victim compensation and criminal conviction

Victim compensation is money paid to victims, typically by people convicted of committing crimes that affected them, to compensate them for suffering or losses.

State, local, and municipal law

State, local, and municipal laws only apply to one location. However, these laws cover many subjects, such as land use, public services, and education policy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,963 answers this week

3,616 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,963 answers this week

3,616 attorneys answering