Skip to main content

Can renter move out of state without notice and keep family members in rented property without notice to owner?

Indianapolis, IN |

Have a signed 3 year lease with my tenant, he and his wife moved out of state without notice, they left there adult children living in the property, do the forfiet deposit and what rights do they have?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. You really need to have an IN attorney look at your lease. The answer will be there.

  2. I agree with my colleague. Your tenants may be liable for the rent due and owing until the expiration of the lease (unless your state requires you to take reasonable efforts to re-rent the property). Your tenants also may be in breach of the lease by allowing their adult children to remain on the property. Look to your lease to determine what each party's obligations are. And in your case, it would be worth it to consult a local attorney.

    DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics