Can renter move out of state without notice and keep family members in rented property without notice to owner?

Asked over 1 year ago - Indianapolis, IN

Have a signed 3 year lease with my tenant, he and his wife moved out of state without notice, they left there adult children living in the property, do the forfiet deposit and what rights do they have?

1. Cheryl Rivera Smith

1

Answered . You really need to have an IN attorney look at your lease. The answer will be there.

2. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleague. Your tenants may be liable for the rent due and owing until the expiration of the lease (unless your state requires you to take reasonable efforts to re-rent the property). Your tenants also may be in breach of the lease by allowing their adult children to remain on the property. Look to your lease to determine what each party's obligations are. And in your case, it would be worth it to consult a local attorney.