Skip to main content

Can Rent A Center send me to jail.

Chester, PA |

I was a good customer all payments were made on time and I even have a credit for a computer. One day my husband goes to pay the bill and the cashier, for her own reasons, decides that she does not want toaccept the payment. He leaves the store and I call the manager and he they have no reason to take my furniture. I contacted the district manager and finally I can make a payment. I explain that this is an off pay week and the next payment will be made and I give date and everything. Next thing I know one of the representatives shows up at my job to talk to me and all of the sudden I am delinquent again because the wrong date was put in the system. I am so sick of this and I have invested my hard earned money in this furniture. I really want to take legal action against them.

Attorney Answers 1


The short answer is no, they do not have the authority to send you to jail. If you are in default of your contract responsabilites they may have right to come get the goods or take you to civil court. The fact that they came your place of employement is troubling and if they discloused to a 3rd party about the debt that would be a violation of the FDPCA.

You will need to consult with a consumer protection lawyer locally.

1. Start keeping a detailed log of all calls and letters. You should also demand in writing all communications from creditors is in writing.

2. Do not give them any personal information because that is how collectors decide on which accounts to recommend suing.

3. If you are going to make payments use money orders and not personal checks or “check by phone” because if they find a bank account the collector will be more likely recommend a lawsuit the their legal department.

4. All collections are negotiable.
If you are going to settle mark the check “settled-in-full” at the very top back of the check and include a letter explaining you are offering a settlement, keep copies of everything

5. Get written confirmation of any payment plan the agency will accept.

I do not practice in your state and you will need to consult with a local lawyer for protection under your state law.

I have pasted a link to the FDPCA to help you with your federal rights;

I hope this information and generic advice is helpful.

Good Luck

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics