Can records be ordered from trustee in a child support case? If found in contempt can he serve jail time & still avoid support

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bloomfield Hills, MI

For a year now we have been to court for child support with 3 continuances to allow father time to produce income info. He is beneficiary of a large trust with spendthrift provision. He had a trustee who stepped down and now he serves as trustee. During last hearing he changed lawyers at last minute and the judge was firm that tax records, etc should be provided to court in 30 days (which has been 3 months ago). To date, he still has not provided info and not gotten medical insurance. Denies filing taxes for past 3 years & refuses to provide any accounting or disbursement records. We have posting social sites of expensive cars, etc that he admits to owning. We were to go to court this week and he just was granted a continuance for "good cause" So my attorney filing a contempt motion

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christine Marie Heckler

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should discuss this with your attorney. Only the attorney familiar with your case can give you complete advice.

    DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided as general information, which may not be appropriate for the specific facts of... more
  2. Neil M. Colman


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . The answer to your first question has already been answered by the court when it ordered him to produce the records within 30 days. As for contempt and jail, it is very possible he could be incarcerated, but his incarceration will not stop his support obligation. Incarceration may depend on the court to which your case has been assigned. But I'm sure your attorney answered these questions for you already.

    Neil M. Colman

    Mr. Colman is licensed to practice law in Michigan. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,831 answers this week

2,817 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,831 answers this week

2,817 attorneys answering