Can real estate be given to a minor and be in the minor's name?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Specifically in New York City can an apartment be purchased and put in the name of a minor? Would that protect the real estate from any debts owed by a parent of the child? Would a trust be needed?

This would be a new purchase made by a third party -- not a transfer of an existing property to avoid debts.

1. Yefim Rubinov

7

Best Answer

Answered . I suggest that you make a trust for the minor. Speak to a lawyer to can help you with both i.e. set up a trust and the purchase of the R/E.

2. Edwin Drantivy

7

Answered . It seems that a trust would best accomplish your goals in terms of asset protection.

3. Scott J. Wittlin

6

Answered . There are going to be gift tax issues for you to address if you do place the property in your child's name (assuming it’s your funds and not your child’s that are buying the property). That being said I agree that any purchase of property on behalf of a minor should be in a trust.

4. Cheryl Rivera Smith

5

Answered . If a conveyance is made to avoid debts, the court may deem it a fraudulent conveyance. To convey property to a minor, a trustee is usually the best recipient.