Can real estate be given to a minor and be in the minor's name?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

Specifically in New York City can an apartment be purchased and put in the name of a minor? Would that protect the real estate from any debts owed by a parent of the child? Would a trust be needed?

Additional information

This would be a new purchase made by a third party -- not a transfer of an existing property to avoid debts.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Yefim Rubinov

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I suggest that you make a trust for the minor. Speak to a lawyer to can help you with both i.e. set up a trust and the purchase of the R/E.

  2. Edwin Drantivy

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It seems that a trust would best accomplish your goals in terms of asset protection.

  3. Scott J. Wittlin

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are going to be gift tax issues for you to address if you do place the property in your child's name (assuming it’s your funds and not your child’s that are buying the property). That being said I agree that any purchase of property on behalf of a minor should be in a trust.

    The above statements are provided as general information and not intended as legal advice. Each matter has its own... more
  4. Cheryl Rivera Smith

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If a conveyance is made to avoid debts, the court may deem it a fraudulent conveyance. To convey property to a minor, a trustee is usually the best recipient.

Related Topics

Deed to property

A deed is a written document describing a piece of real estate and documenting the transfer of ownership from one person (the grantor) to another (grantee).

Real estate

The term real estate means land and items permanently attached to it, like buildings. This area of law deals with who has the right to own and use these items.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,385 answers this week

3,330 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,385 answers this week

3,330 attorneys answering