Can RAC file criminal charges on me for being late on my paymnets?

Asked over 1 year ago - Greenville, TX

I have kept in contact with them explaining my situation to them and now they are threatening to just come in my house and take stuff, and they keep telling me they are going to call the police and when my wife told the to call they finally left but they keep coming back banging on the door scaring my children

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

2

Answered . I have had a few of those cases. You need to figure out a way to get caught up or get the furniture returned. It's not worth the extra expense, heart ache, and hassle of being charged with a crime.

2. Cynthia Russell Henley

1

Answered . RAC = Rentacenter? If you cannot make the payments, then you must follow whatever the terms are in your contract which probably include allowing them to come get the items. You cannot keep their property and not make payments - this is like renting a car and keeping it and not making payments, and they file on those cases all the time.

Cynthia Henley
    713-222-1220

3. David Daniel White

Pro

1

Answered . Unfortunately, RAC is prone to filing criminal charges. Find a way to get them paid off. Any criminal charges will be based on the value of the goods, not necessarily what you paid.

Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
    1205 Rio Grande St.
    Austin, TX 78701
    (512) 369-3737

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now