Can public welfare refuse me assistance if I have fines from several years ago that went to collections?

Asked 4 months ago - Stroudsburg, PA

I have been on public assistance for over 3 years now. My wife was told today by her case worker that they reviewed me and I have a current bench warrant in Philadelphia County. I called them and they said it was lifted in March-2010. The other issue she told me wife is that I have fines and restitution fees that are unpaid in Montgomery County, PA. When I called the office there, they said those fines went into collections. The case worker also told me that I will not be able to get cash assistance, food stamps or medical assistance again because of this. I will also not be eligible for social security disability either. How is this possible when I have been receiving these benefits for over 3 years now? Is this legal?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jacques H. Geisenberger Jr.

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Your question of whether it is legal omits how or why you received DPW benefits beginning in 2010. It also conveniently omits setting forth the basis for the fines and restitution in either county. I would suggest you consult with an attorney in your area who handles DPW entitlement cases as the regulations as to eligibility change frequently.

    If you found this to be the Best or Helpful Response, please mark it as such.

    Good Luck!!!

    Mr. Geisenberger is a Pennsylvania-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,988 answers this week

3,119 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,988 answers this week

3,119 attorneys answering