Can Public Defenders refuse to do preliminary hearings?

Fountain Inn, SC |

My preliminary hearing is next week. I have contacted the public defenders office about it and they have told me that they do not do preliminary hearings. Everything I am researching is telling me that I have a right to counsel at my preliminary hearing. Can someone please clear this up?

1. You do have a right to have a preliminary hearing. If they are not going to do it you can conduct it yourself to retain someone for the limited purpose of doing the hearing for you.

2. You are entitled to a prelimary hearing, but you must be sure to follow the proper procedure for the county you are in.

3. you have a right to a preliminary hearing and the right to have your counsel conduct it. Contact your PD and be certain he/she is there. If they are not ask the judge to require the PD to appear and conduct the hearing.