Can property taxes decrease if the value of my home is less than it used to be?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Davis, CA

Our house keeps dropping in value, and I was wondering if I could ask the assessor's office to lower our property tax?


Attorney answers (3)

  1. David S Hoffman

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, you can. Some county assessors, such as the one in Santa Clara County, have been proactive and have sent out reduction notices over the past few years. Other counties may not do that... the longer they can keep tax money, the better. Check with your local county assessor's office for the paperwork. You will help your case if you can obtain Comparative Market Analyeses (CMA's or Comps) from 2 or 3 local real estate agents. These comps can be added to the form that the Assessor has, as an exhibit to bolster your claim that your property has lost value.

    Good luck.

  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, certainly. In some counties, the assessor's office automatically sends out reduction notices. If not, you can apply to your county tax assessor for a reduction in your property taxes.

    An Application for Changed Assessment is your opportunity to challenge the assessed value placed upon your property by the County Assessor. Applications must be filed on a State Board of Equalization-approved form which is available online: (go to: Community > Assessment Appeals) or through the Clerk of the Board’s office (625 Court Street, Room 204, Woodland).

    Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in... more
  3. Sara Lee Parker

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may ask your County Assessor's office about reducing your property tax. The procedures for this process may differ from County to County, so you need to check with your County Assessor's office. The information you supplied indicates that your home is in Davis, California. If your property is in Davis, the Yolo County website shows that Davis is in Yolo County. You can review the website for Yolo County, which lists the ASSESSOR under Government Departments. Information is provided by the County Assessor on that website and they may even provide written publications in their office to assist you. On the website, there is even a section entitled "Frequently Asked Questions" and "Important Dates." Review the information provided by the Assessor's Office immediately to determine the deadlines for a review and the procedures for review. You may also contact the local Bar Association and inquire about attorneys with property tax experience in your area. There are attorneys in California that specialize in taxation, including property taxation. They are probably not inexpensive, but you have the option. I am not familiar with Yolo County Assessor's Office nor the Yolo County Assessment Appeals Board nor the attorneys in your area. Should you need legal advice on this topic, you will need to contact the local Bar Association or the State Bar of California.

    This answer is designed for general information only. The information presented should not be construed to be... more

Related Topics

Real estate

The term real estate means land and items permanently attached to it, like buildings. This area of law deals with who has the right to own and use these items.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,136 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,136 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering