Skip to main content

Can property not placed in a will be contested if another heirs name was also on the deed.

Albany, NY |

My father placed another siblings name on the deed with his on his residence for convenience. His intention publicly was always for that sibling to buy out the other siblings upon his death. The property is not in the will or trust. The sibling now wants to keep the house without buying out the other two. Is there a legal basis to fight this? Probate?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You don't say if the other sibling was placed on the deed as a tenant in common or as a joint tenant, with rights of survivorship. If the first, the sibling would only obtain half outright; if the second, the sibling would inherit it all, without the necessity of probate.

To prevent this may be difficult or expensive. It would be similar to contesting a will - proving that this was not a gift due to lack of capacity or undue influence, for example. It would be useful if there is something in writing indicating that. You are going to have to consult an estates attorney for guidance.


I partially agree with the prior attorney. My only point of disagreement is that you may be able to argue that the house was held in constructive trust for all siblings. As a result, he needs to transfer the parts held in trust to the two of you or he must buy you out. This really becomes a matter of evidence and proof, so if you have documentation or other support for this position you may have a shot here. This will be expensive and time consuming and devisive so be prepared. This is the reason that these type of arrangements are not recommended.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties in the state of Pennsylvania. He phone number is 215-735-2336 and his email address is listed below.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer