Can police search my house after a traffic stop?

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

pulled over for speeding, officer says I have Warrant, Search of my car (inventory from needing to be towed) finds drugs, possible charges would entail , sales, possession, possible distribution, See they did not charge me because the drugs they found were actually body building protein powders and such. They took bag for investigation obvious that contents being sold in nefarious ways. so they have there eyebrows raised. took iPad. what if after testing they find the contents to be illegal can they obtain search warrant for my house and computers?
Now no charges filed yet (3 months now)

1. Richard Waldron Bryans Jr.

4

Answered . They could, given the facts as you have expressed them. However, they might not. You never know.

The information provided in this answer is only general shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Stephen Clark Harkess

4

Answered . It is possible, though not certain from the limited facts you present, that the police could develop probable cause to believe that evidence of a crime could be found in your home. In that case, they could get a search warrant. It would be best not to keep anything incriminating in your home.

3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . If they sell it right to whatever judge is on "warrant duty" for the week, they could possibly get a search warrant for your house and computers. I would error on the side of caution and be concerned that they would and make sure that you do not have anything incriminating readily apparent.

4. Justin Wade Blow

2

Answered . It's possible, but since it was 3 months ago, they may have trouble convincing a judge that there's probable cause to believe there's evidence of a crime at your residence now, based on those facts alone. However, you can't be too cautious. If there's something you wouldn't be proud of in your house, or on your computer, get rid of it. Odds are if the contents of the bag are determined to be contraband, you'll be arrested and charged with possession. If you're in your home when they serve the warrant, the officers can do a safety sweep and any contraband in plain sight can be used against you.

5. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

Answered . With a warrant, police can search your home anytime.