Can police search a device several months after the 10 day limit on a search warrant?

Asked about 1 year ago - Fort Collins, CO

Search Warrant gives 10 day limit to seize and search items and location described. They Took a Camera, along with a computer and digital storage media. They searched the computer within the 10 days. They didn't search the storage media. They waited 3 months before searching the camera. No Criminal Charges filed. The officer states on record that they did not find anything relating to the allegations and then had it forensically examined to restore deleted media. They did not make an "Image" of the cameras hard drive. They searched the original container several months after the 10 day limit without obtaining an extension on the warrant or another warrant. They also were not given permission to forensically examine anything. No evidence connecting the camera to the crime.

Additional information

"Now, therefore, you are commanded to execute and serve this warrant at any time within ten (10) days of the date hereof, to search the premises, person, place or thing described herein, and in the accompanying affidavit and to seize the property described herein and in the accompanying affidavit."
This is the only sentence in the warrant that gives any permission to do anything with property. It looks like it only allows 10 days to search the "thing" described herein.
I feel this is an argument of reasonableness as well. Considering that it isn't difficult to turn on a camera and view what's on it, it's much different than searching a computer. Also the allegations involve a laptop, but not illegal data that can be stored on another device like for example: Child Porn. I understand that this is fairly complicated and difficult to answer without more information. Thank you.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Kent Joseph Leier

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Your question relates to a very complex area of the law. It is very difficult if not impossible to give you any accurate legal advice on this issue without taking a look at the search warrant and doing an in depth initial consultation. Plus, if digital storage devices, camera, and computers are being searched I'm guessing you are dealing with very serious charges. I'd recommend you contact an attorney to set up an initial consultation.

    Kent J. Leier
    The Leier Law Office, LLC

    The Leier Law Office, LLC, 110 East Oak St. Ste. 220, Fort Collins, CO. Call 970-682-4581 for a free consultation.... more
  2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The search warrant gave them 10 days to search your premises and seize the items. It does not limit law enforcement to then search the items seized to any specific time period. Oftentimes, it takes weeks or months to do a forensic audit of a computer - even with the Colorado Bureau of Investigations and with the FBI. The same thing applies to the camera's hard drive. They do not need an extension of the search warrant once the items are in their possession. You really need to talk with a criminal defense attorney about this.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more
  3. Stephen Clark Harkess

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The direct answer to your question "can police search a device..." is clearly yes because they appear to have done exactly that. The real question is what are you seeking to do about it?

    If the police exceeded their authority then the primary remedy is exclusion of evidence. They won't be able to use any illegally obtained evidence against you. However, you appear to indicate that there was no evidence found in the search.

    Another possibly remedy is a civil complaint for damages. However, you will not only need to show that the police violated your Fourth Amendment rights, but also that you had some sort of damages as a result. From what you have posted, it does not sound like you have much of a civil case.

    Under these circumstances, even if the police exceeded their authority, it does not appear that there is anything you can do about it.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more
  4. Brandon Uriah Luna


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Fort Collins:

    In your area there is no one more experienced in police search and seizure issues than Kent Leier. I would give him a call and see if he would offer you a free consultation.

  5. John Douglas Lloyd


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Generally, the police wouldn't need to request an extension on the warrant to search the camera outside the 10 days.

    Disclaimer: No attorney client privilege is established by receiving an answer to your question on Avvo. This... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,484 answers this week

3,122 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,484 answers this week

3,122 attorneys answering