Can police question a minor without guardian present about accident information

Lorton, VA |
Filed under: Juvenile law

My daughter and I were involved in a car accident by someone who had road rage. The officer asked her questions about accident. Then told her she was not consistant in her story. "She didn't give same story as witnesses. She is 16 years old.

No, they don't need your permission to question her.

Yes, a police officer can question your daughter without you being there.

Attorney Jason Chan
77 Franklin Street, FL3
Boston, MA 02110
617-556-8220
website: www.attorneychan.com
blog: http://attorneychan.wordpress.com/
twitter: http://twitter.com/AttorneyChan

disclaimer: I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Please be aware that this is for informational purposes only.

Your permission to question her was not necessary. The police were able to inquire about the circumstances of the accident from your daughter.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

The police are free to question your daughter in this circumstance.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Juvenile law topics

Recommended articles about Juvenile law