Can police pursue criminal charges against me and my ex regarding 2 bad checks that was deposited to my bank account?

Asked 10 months ago - Buffalo, NY

Police came to my home to question me about 2 checks deposited to my checking account, they wanted information about the person who wrote me the check, I advise the police that the person they were looking for was my ex boyfriend and that I was aware of the situation. I deposited two checks from ex, and both checks came back as account closed. I already made two payments towards the negative balance of my account. Can the police pursue criminal charges against me and my boyfriend if both already started to pay money back to the bank? It seems like the police think we are into some check fraud activity because we know each other and he once lived with me. The whole situation is messy, but I am making payments towards the negative balance.

1. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

1

Answered . Sure they can but there is always a cost/benefit analysis they do to justify the cost of a criminal prosecution. If restitution is being quickly made the chances of a prosecution is less. Be sure you are not implicating yourself by answering questions while unrepresented.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . Your ex has criminal exposure. I don't think you do unless you were part of the scam.

3. Robert J Adams Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . Your ex boyfriend has criminal exposure. Assuming you were not part of the scheme you will be OK.