Can police interrogate a 12 year old without parental notification?

Asked over 4 years ago - Olympia, WA

12 year old interrogated by police without parental notification for possession of marijuana, which was brought about by an 11 and 12 year old's hearsay. resulting in an eventual search of his mothers house.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The police may question a child without parental consent. Although this is well established law in every state that I know of, I do not practice in WA. You should double check with an WA criminal lawyer.

  2. Maury Devereau Beaulier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes. There is no preclusion on police questioning a minor child in the absence of his or her parents. The parents must be notified within a reasonable time if the child is taken into custody.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,356 answers this week

2,819 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,356 answers this week

2,819 attorneys answering